Published on:

Suspect Rearrested when Assault Victim Died from Injuries

The manager of a Florida Dunkin’ store was arrested and released after reportedly punching an elderly man in the face, but he was taken back into custody when the alleged victim died.

27-year-old Corey Pujols is a manager at a Dunkin’ located inside of a Marathon Gas in Tampa.

In the afternoon on May 4, Pujols was working a shift when a regular customer came through the drive-thru.

When interacting with the workers, the 77-year-old man reportedly felt he had a negative experience, and he went into the store to speak with Pujols about the situation.

Their discussion turned into a dispute, and Pujols, who is Black, reported that the customer used a racial slur against him.

Pujols reportedly responded by confronting the man, and he asked him to repeat what he said.

When the man complied, Pujols reportedly punched him in the face. The man toppled backward, and he smacked his head on the concrete floor.

The authorities arrived at the scene, and they reported that the man was not conscious. It was also noted that he had blood seeping from his head.

The store’s security camera recorded the incident, and it was reported that the punch from Pujols and the man falling to the ground can be seen in the footage.

Pujols was taken into custody and booked on a $2,000 bond. He was charged with battery on a person over the age of 65.

On May 5, Pujols bailed out of jail.

The man he was accused of victimizing was still at Tampa General Hospital in critical condition. On May 6, he died.

A skull fracture and brain contusions caused by blunt trauma to the head were listed as the cause of death.

Pujols was rearrested on May 7, and he is being accused of aggravated manslaughter of a person older than 65. He is being held without bail.

If you or someone you love is suspected of a criminal offense, contact Orange County criminal defense lawyer Staycie R. Sena at (949) 477-8088 for a consultation now.

Contact Information