The woman was treated for a fractured nose, lacerations to her left cheek, and injuries that required sutures, according to comments made by a Miami-Dade Circuit Court judge during the suspect’s first court appearance.
Surveillance footage captured the attack in the Little Havana neighborhood on the afternoon of August 6. The woman was walking down the street when a man approached her from the opposite direction. As they passed, authorities said the man swung at her, striking her in the face and knocking her to the ground.
Witnesses from nearby businesses rushed outside after seeing what happened. One business owner reported that the woman was bleeding heavily from her face and nose. The witness also said the man walked away after leaving the woman injured.
Several businesses in the area had surveillance cameras, and their owners reportedly worked with detectives to help identify the suspect. Authorities later identified him as a 40-year-old man who was recognized by an officer who had previously arrested him.
Authorities tracked the suspect down about two hours after the alleged attack and took him into custody. He was transported to the City of Miami Police Department’s Violent Crimes Unit for questioning.
According to the arrest report, the suspect told authorities that he was having a bad day and had punched someone when he was asked whether he was okay or needed anything. During a later interview, he allegedly repeated the explanation to a detective and said he had smoked synthetic marijuana at home that day. The report did not establish whether that occurred before or after the alleged assault.
The man was charged with felony battery and remained held at the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center on a $150,000 bond.
If you or someone you love is suspected of an assault or battery offense, contact Orange County criminal defense lawyer Staycie R. Sena at (949) 477-8088 for a consultation now.
The Orange County Criminal Lawyer Blog

