Published on:

A California woman, Denise Huskins, described the “hell that we have survived” to her abductor, who was sentenced to 40 years in prison. The police originally dismissed this case as a hoax because it was so elaborate and downright bizarre.

Huskins was held for two days, after being kidnapped and sexually assaulted by the abductor, which she describes as physical and psychological torture. The disbarred lawyer, Matthew Muller, reportedly snatched her from her home in San Francisco two years ago.

“I still have nightmares every night,” she said, fighting back tears. “Sleep is not rest for me; it is a trigger.” Her boyfriend was bound and drugged during the kidnapping. He said “he can not and will not ever be the same.” U.S. District Judge Troy Nunley called the abduction a “heinous, atrocious, horrible crime” as he sentenced 39 year-old Muller. Muller faced up to life in prison, but prosecutors agreed to 40 years in exchange for his guilty plea. Muller’s lawyer wanted a 30 year sentence arguing that Muller had manic depression and could be rehabilitated with proper treatment.

Published on:

On Tuesday, Chicago police reported that they were looking for five to six men who allegedly sexually assaulted a 15 year old girl, while it was being streamed live on Facebook.

The teen had been missing since Sunday night. The girl’s mother had gone to the police on Monday and approached Sgt. Eddie Johnson as he was leaving a news conference, with a screenshot from the live video of the assault. The girl was then found by Chicago detectives on Tuesday.

It is reported that dozens of people had watched the assault live on Facebook’s live feed but none reported the incident to police. The video has since been removed from the site.

Published on:

According to news reports a 24 year old man named William A Bates Jr., of Kansas City is charged with first degree attempted sodomy and attempted statutory sodomy with a person under 12.

At Kemp playground a two year old was playing on a swing when her mother noticed Bates allegedly “eyeballing her children.” The mother told police that Bates then approached her daughter and grabbed her off the swing before allegedly grabbing the girl by the hips and pulling down her diaper. The mother said that she saw Bates lift his shirt and pull down his pants, to which then he started thrusting against her daughter.

Reportedly the police say she ran after Bates, knocking him to the ground, and while he was down she was attacking him with her fists. Bates eventually freed himself and ran from the park, but the mother ran to a nearby homeless shelter and called the police. Officers arrested Bates near the playground.

Published on:

At the end of January, thieves stole $4.5 million in eye shadow palettes from a San Fernando Valley warehouse in an apparent heist. The unknown thieves sawed through the roof of a warehouse that stores the product for Anastasia Beverly Hills. The theft occurred between January 28th and 30th.

Over 100,000 “Modern Renaissance” palettes, which sell for $42 each, were taken during this heist. The palette is well-known and consumers are encouraged not to purchase palettes outside of a normal retailer.

Detectives in the Los Angeles Police Department’s Commercial Crimes Division are still investigating the theft and have yet to name any suspects.

Published on:

In passing Assembly Bill 813, California has now joined 44 other states nationwide in allowing a person who has suffered a criminal conviction to challenge that conviction, even though he or she is no longer in custody.

The new statutes allows relief based on 1) a claim of actual innocence; and 2) failure to fully understand the consequences of the plea.

Although the statute applies to both citizens and non-citizens, in practice, this statute is expected to allow immigrants to seek relief for past convictions which hold devastating immigration consequences.

Published on:

Until recently, the Federal Government and the State of California defined criminal “misdemeanors” differently. While the federal government defined a misdemeanor as a crime punishable by up to 364 days, California defined it as one punishable by up to 365 days. This one-day difference often proved disastrous for immigrants with convictions, however, because the Federal government considers a crime punished by 365 days a felony and felony convictions often subject immigrants to deportation or exclusion.

In 1996 Congress enacted the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, which expanded the crimes for which legal residents can be deported to include crimes which were punished by 365 days. States which continued to defined misdemeanors as including sentences of 365 days unwittingly caused their immigrant-residents to face not only up to a year in jail, but deportation or exclusion from entry as well. This applied to all immigrants, regardless of whether a sentence was suspended or whether a person spent only a few days in jail.

Effective January 1, 2015, California Senate Bill 1310 changed the maximum misdemeanor sentence to mirror the Federal Government’s 364 days. Senate Bill 1242 then applied this change retroactively, allowing those who were sentenced before 2015 to receive the statute’s intended protection.

Published on:

According to prosecutors, 29 year-old Rico Christopher Clayton, of Carson, had allegedly recruited a woman to participate in prostitution on February 8th. He allegedly advertised her sex services online. On that same day, officers on the Orange County Human Trafficking Task Force had responded to an online ad and arranged a meeting with the woman.

Clayton was allegedly seen dropping the woman off at a Fullerton motel where the meeting had been arranged with the undercover officer. Clayton had also allegedly made calls and sent text messages to the woman indicating that he was pimping her. Clayton was out on bail for another pimping charge in Los Angeles at the time.

He was charged on Monday with one felony count of pimping and pandering. He is facing sentencing enhancements for committing the crime while out on bail in addition to a previous strike conviction for burglary in 2007. If found guilty, Clayton faces up to 15 years in prison, according to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.

Published on:

A 36 year old man named Scott Patrick Cole of Newport Beach was booked into Orange County Jail on the suspicion of battery with serious bodily injury, trespassing, causing harm to an elder/dependent adult, and assault with a deadly weapon.

At around 4:30 p.m. officers got an assault call to the 800 block of West 15th St. After the officers arrived, they had made contact with a man, who fled to a nearby neighbor’s house for safety, said Jennifer Manzella, a Newport Beach police spokeswoman.

The unidentified victim was then taken to a nearby hospital for non-life threatening injuries and was later released. Apparently, the victim and Cole were acquainted, Manzella said. The officers were trying to contact Cole at the residence where the assault had allegedly taken place, but Cole repeatedly refused to come to the front door, said Manzella, adding that Cole seemed extremely agitated and began breaking windows and throwing objects inside the victim’s home.

Published on:

Herbert Granados Calderon, 26, pleaded guilty this week to causing a fatal collision between three cars while intoxicated. An 18-year-old was killed and five others were injured in this crash. The crash occurred in Santa Ana, when Calderon was speeding on Bristol and ran a red light. He broadsided a Honda Civic thereby killing the person in the back seat.

Calderon pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for the 2014 collision.

He was charged with murder because he pleaded guilty in 2013 to another DUI, Driving Under the Influence of alcohol or drugs. In 2013 he was read a Watson Warning. The Watson Warning simply states that drunk driving is dangerous to human life and if the defendant continues drive drunk and someone dies, they can be charged with second degree murder. The warning is usually part of any DUI plea.

Published on:

The parents of an 8 year old boy have been charged with child endangerment after their son survived an overdose of heroin last month, according to police.

On January 11th the police responded to a call of a child not breathing at a home in a suburb of southwest Cleveland, Ohio. They found the boy unresponsive in the living room with his father doing chest compressions on him. The boy was transported to the hospital after an officer found a pulse. The parents, Charles Dowdy and Danielle Simko are suspected of narcotics use after drugs and syringes were found on the property, the police report stated.

The father had told police that he and the mother were in bed with their son when he noticed that the child’s lips were turning blue.